Monday, October 7, 2013

Judge Me if You Must

Ok, so I'm going to be honest here, and if that means that people are going to judge me for it, then so be it.  After all, the blogging and reflecting are really for me first of all; if others can learn from it, then that is just an added bonus.

I've been pretty quiet on Twitter, and really all social media, lately.  I do not want to take away anything from any of the amazing educators that I have connected with, but I have found my new connections in social media to be a double-edged sword in many ways.  Let me explain.

First of all, I do want to thank everyone that shares ideas, articles and other educational information.  In many ways you helped me find a new energy and focus for my classroom.  I have probably learned more over this past summer than I have in numerous workshops that I have attended the past few years.  There are so many people out there willing to answer questions and share resources, I honestly do not know how I made it through some of my previous years of teaching without you.

Now for the dark side of the blade.  While there are many positive educators, and people in general, participating in social media, sometimes all of their great ideas make me feel inadequate.  I read about all of their successes and the innovative things they have been able to do, and honestly it makes me doubt myself as an educator.  Am I really doing enough to help my students be successful?  Am I finding ways to make my students excited about learning, especially when I am not overly excited about what we are doing that day?  Part of that is on me, and I have to realize that I have to do what I can without worrying about "keeping up with the Jones'". 

However, even with all the support I have found in social media, I feel like I often have to hold back how I am truly feeling.  Why, you may ask?  Honestly, I feel judged.  There are numerous times I have logged onto to Twitter for a pick me up and found comments that are a little disheartening.  While I am sure that these people probably do not mean for their comments to be taken that way, I have decided that I need voice my concern over these comments. 

First of all, when I see people saying things like, "If you are burned out, then you probably shouldn't be teaching anymore," it really bothers me.  While I do agree that if you feel so burned out that you hate going to school everyday, and you honestly cannot see any positives to what you do, then you probably should look for another career.  However, I do not feel that some people on social media take into consideration the variables that come into play when talking about someone's feelings about their job.  There are many days where I have felt completely kicked down to the point where I just do not know if I can keep dragging myself up. I have had days where I have just wanted to toss in the towel and walk away from it all because I know that it would probably be easier for me mentally in many ways.  As educators I feel that many of us pour so much of ourselves into our jobs that we cannot help but feel burned out from time to time.  If you are constantly giving of yourself there are bound to be points you will reach that leave you feeling empty and as if you really have nothing left to give.  That being said, I also have days where I feel over-filled because I do get so much back from what I do.  I cannot think of anything more rewarding than having a struggling student find success, or to hear other students excited about what we are learning or doing in class that day.  So, even though I have times that I feel burned out, and I vent that I feel burned out, it does not mean that I should not be teaching anymore. 

The other comments that have bugged me lately are the ones that condemn worksheets and grades altogether.  Yes, in a perfect world students would be learning for the sake of learning.  Ideally I would like to not have to give grades either, but alas that is not the cards that we have been dealt.  We can continue to fight the battle, but I do not feel that it is right to belittle someone when they have a grading question because you do not feel that they should be giving grades in the first place.  As to the worksheets, just like technology, they are a tool.  Tools can be misused and abused, but they can also serve a purpose if used correctly.  I personally do not feel that we should toss the worksheet aside, but instead look at how it is being used and then have a discussion of how the tool is best used.

So those of you out there that are sometimes quick to pipe in about this topic or that with what you think other teachers should or should not be doing, I ask you to just take a minute to think first.  Take into consideration what that person is really asking for or about.  If they are on social media and asking questions they obviously care about what they are doing and trying to improve themselves, otherwise, why would the bother to take the time?  Instead of chastising them, find ways to offer assistance and pointers as they navigate their way through this quickly changing field.  They might be just starting out and changing just a few pieces at a time.  Think about the fact that you do not necessarily know them, their students, their administration and what is being required of them.  Remember that many of us wear many different hats in our positions and are trying to balance several things at once while still trying to be innovative.  Think about the workload they may have, or the challenges they are possibly facing in their classrooms that limit what they are able to do at this time.  Once again I say, judge me if you must, but do me a favor first and just think a little before you do.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel.

    You bet it's tough to do the job that you're doing. It's completely natural to feel the way that you're feeling now, and you'll probably feel like that from time to time, even often. On some of my best days, right after the students left after the last class, I'd slump for a moment with my head on my counter, feeling like I might not have the energy to get up. To say that teaching is enervating and exhausting at the same time is not an oxymoron.

    I'm relatively new to Twitter, and only a week into blogging, and can relate to that feeling of inadequacy. I've been a principal now for 4 years, after 26 years of teaching. Still, after what most would describe as a very successful career, I often feel like I just can't do enough, or do it well enough. Many of those you're likely following have been out of the classroom for a while, sometimes a long while, and are forgetting the realities of the classroom - I know that I am. It's easy to present the latest and greatest ideas, and to give off a vibe of, "come on, there's nothing to it" or that you must not care if you're not on board. Remember that they almost surely mean the best, but that may not come through in posts and comments.

    Are you trying, in the time you have available, to get better, to learn and to grow? Your blog, what I saw in your work to redesign your classroom learning environment, suggests that you certainly are. You won't get it all right, at least I hope not, because the best learning comes from getting it wrong, then refining, revising or just trying something different until you get it right. But it's not easy, and it doesn't always feel good.

    Teaching is not, ever, something done perfectly. As you stated, there are those who should not be doing it, for whatever reasons. The rest of us, though, are doing the greatest work in the world, and will have a damnably tough time seeing it and feeling it on a daily basis. One of my favourite quotes sums up how I see this profession as a way to express my faith in the eventual positive influence we have on the future, through our kids:
    “Do not let the fact that things are not made for you, that conditions are not as they should be, stop you. Go on anyway. Everything depends on those who go on anyway.” – Robert Henri

    Take care of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,

      Thanks for taking the time to comment. There are so many things to take into consideration when it comes to teaching, and honestly I am so glad that I took the plunge a few months ago and joined twitter. The positives have far outnumbered the negatives I have come across. I think much of it stems from the standards I set for myself as an educator, and it is hard not to take things personally when you do put so much of yourself into what you do. Most of the comments that I referred to were never actually directed towards me, but ones that either came across my feed or ones that I read in various chats. Overall I just wanted to remind people that we are all educators fighting the same battle and it is not helping if we are belittling others, even if unintentionally.

      Trying new things and reflecting on them is something I have taken a lot more time to do this year. I have always played with new ideas, tweaking them as I go. I have also tried to be much more vocal with my students this year when I am trying something new and reflecting with them. I want to set an example that not everything we do will always be a success, but that as long as we learn from it and keep going than it was not for nothing.

      I wish you much success this year!!

      Delete
  2. I think this is an amazingly open and honest post. I can understand why you held back on saying these things, but I'm glad that you decided to say them.

    I find myself both on the giving and receiving ends of what you're talking about. At the end of last year, I was done. My district and students had broken me. My plan was to coast through this year, get my loan forgiveness and leave teaching completely, looking back with anger, regret and hostility.

    Since finding the MTBoS and everyone else on Twitter, my life has changed completely, but I still have those days where I wonder if I'm doing everything I can. I find that every article I skim and blog post I read changes my mind about my educational philosophy.

    I also certainly understand the pressure to "keep up with the Jones'" and I feel it daily. I write my blog for me, but I still long for approval. I wish that I didn't.

    On the other hand, I know that I'm guilty of what you are saying. I've become a strong advocate for the removal of grades, but I try to keep myself grounded in the reality that we face as teachers.

    I won't make excuses for any comments that I may have made that upset you except to say that you're right and that it was not my intention to do so.

    I think that this is a VERY tough job and we all do what we have to do to survive. I'm not the teacher I want to be, but I'm better than I was. I think this is all any of us can hope for. We can't reach perfection but we can always improve.

    If I agree with how a teacher runs their class or not, regardless of their educational philosophy, as long as they are trying to become better, I will count them among the better teachers that I know. You fall squarely into this category. Keep up the good work and keep posting your honest opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin,

      Thank you so much for your comment. It is unfortunate that so many of us seem to have times where all we want to do is pack up and leave. This was the real intention behind my post, to remind others that many of us look to twitter as a place to get that extra support we need to stay sane, and when we make comments that pass judgment, even if not meant that way, that we may possibly be helping pack up that educator's bags. Instead I would like to see us help solve each others' dilemmas so that we do not lose anymore great teachers to burnout.

      I have found you to be a very valuable resource on my PLN and I have always admired your honesty during chats with the struggles you face in your classroom.

      I wish you much success this year!

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel,

    I'm so glad that you posted. And, I am so sorry that you have felt this way on Twitter at times. I go to Twitter for my "happy place". Sometimes, I run into people that don't make me feel good. I don't follow them.

    I personally think that Twitter is the perfect place for burnt out teachers. I feel that we revive each other. I have talked to teachers who wanted to quit the first weeks of school. Heck, I wanted to quit the first few weeks of school this year!

    Most of us are still somewhere in the middle. We have to give worksheets but are trying to do better, or at least make better worksheets? We are giving out foldable by the handfuls, and those are just worksheets that fold, right?

    I don't want to sound too severe. However, the people in your PLN should be helping you, ALL of the time. If not, you should unfollow them. If they don't make you feel great, you should unfollow them. You can always add them back later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie for taking the time to comment. You bring up a very good point about the power I do have in my hands if I do not feel supported by members of my PLN. It is a tough line sometimes because some of the people that I have seen some of these comments from have also been great resources that have also helped me tremendously this year. As I said earlier, none of these comments were ever actually directed towards me, or my questions. However, seeing them in my feed and come up in chats made me nervous to put things out there in fear that I would get responses that were similar.

      Twitter has definitely revived me a ton, and probably made me more excited to start this school year than I have been since my first year teaching. I am very thankful for many of the great connections I have made, and I think I do need to just take your advice and unfollow those that I am not finding helpful at this time.

      Delete